A sedentary lifestyle, typical of most modern people, often leads to diseases of the musculoskeletal system. One of them is cervical osteochondrosis. Recently, this disease has become much younger, and its symptoms are often found in people older than 25 years. If left untreated, the pathology can lead to dangerous consequences.
Causes of pathology
The main cause of cervical osteochondrosis is improper load distribution on the spine. The factors that lead to this can be different. Let's say a person is used to carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder, sleeping or sitting in the wrong position, etc. These factors seem insignificant, but when they act for a long time, they lead to a completely logical consequence - osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Risk factors that increase the likelihood of pathology are as follows:
- lack of physical activity;
- transmission of spinal injuries;
- posture disorders;
- foot pathology;
- worsening of blood flow to the cervical spine.
These reasons lead to the creation of an incorrect position of the vertebrae. The weight is unevenly distributed on the vertebrae, causing some parts of the cervical spine to withstand excessive stress. In response, tissue changes occur.
The following factors can also make the situation worse:
- transmission of a serious illness or injury, which leads to exhaustion of the organism;
- constant stress;
- metabolic disorders in the body;
- insufficient use of trace elements, their excessive consumption or insufficient absorption in the intestines;
- occupational diseases (especially vibration diseases);
- genetic predisposition to osteochondrosis;
- scoliosis and other posture disorders;
- non-compliance with the drinking regime;
- improper diet;
- bad habits;
SHOX is most often caused by a complex of factors. Lifestyle, general health and the presence of background pathologies play a role in its appearance.
Symptoms of the disease
Even in the initial stage, it can be recognized by the following symptoms:
- pain in neck, nape, arms, shoulders;
- weakness of the upper limbs;
- headaches and creaking;
- general weakness and fatigue;
- frequent dizziness;
- lack of coordination;
- numbness of the tongue, impaired hearing and vision.
The most common symptom is dizziness. It can be followed by:
- tinnitus and noise in the ears;
- nausea and vomiting.
Patients often suffer from headaches, especially women. Sometimes it manifests itself:
- constant mood swings;
- sleep disorders.
How is a problem diagnosed in this part of the spine?
SHOX is diagnosed by the following methods:
- Radiography. This method is not always effective, especially in the later stages of pathology.
- MRI. It provides insight into bone structures, hernias, their size and direction of development.
- CT. Computed tomography is less effective than magnetic resonance imaging because hernias and their size are difficult to determine by this method.
- Ultrasound duplex scanning. This method is used if there is a suspicion of disturbed blood flow in the arteries. The scan allows you to assess the speed of blood flow and the presence of obstructions.
The disease can take place in different ways. Sometimes it compensates itself, sometimes exacerbations occur.
Together with the pathological process, compensatory mechanisms are activated, prolonging the functions of the vertebrae for some time and eliminating the symptoms. However, with the further course of the disease, the fibrous ring is destroyed and microcracks appear. The vertebrae lose fixation and stability.
Also, osteochondrosis is characterized by impregnation of the pulp of the space between the vertebrae with calcium. As a result, a type of hernia is formed because the affected spine is pressed into the body of the person next to it.
The constructions wear out over time, which leads to mass ossification.
The course of the disease is divided into several stages:
- Phase 1.Instability of the vertebral structure and disturbances in the discs.
- Phase 2.Decreased vertebral fixation, disc protrusion.
- Phase 3.Rupture of the fibrous ring, obvious symptoms and pain.
- Phase 4.Difficulty moving, severe acute pain, dilated bone tissue.
Due to the special location of blood vessels and muscles, the neck is a vulnerable area. With a long course of osteochondrosis, a number of complications occur, many of which pose a serious threat to human health.
How to provide first aid at home?
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home includes:
- corrective gymnastics;
- dietary correction.
Combined methods of therapy allow to achieve good results in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis. The symptoms of the disease can cause serious problems, so you need to know how to provide first aid.
Various medications are used to suppress the symptoms of the disease. They should be prescribed by a doctor who specializes in the treatment of osteochondrosis - a neurologist or vertebrologist.
- For severe pain, you can take painkillers. If they do not work, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be taken.
- Sometimes "distractions" are used, like peppers. It does not cure on its own, but warms the inflamed area and relieves pain.
- Herbal infusions and diuretics are useful for edema in the area of inflammation.
The following groups of drugs are prescribed for the treatment of SHOC:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Help relieve pain, swelling and inflammation of the affected nerve root.
- B vitamins. They help to improve metabolic processes in nervous tissue.
- Chondroprotectors. Stimulates the regeneration of cartilage.
- Muscle relaxants. Helps reduce muscle cramps.
- Drugs aimed at improving the rheological properties of blood and blood. They help improve the process of blood flow to the brain and the nutrition of the affected nerve endings.
Intramuscular injections may be indicated.
Osteochondrosis ointments help to eliminate unpleasant symptoms in the initial phase of pathology. They are classified according to their effect on the body:
- Anti-inflammatory.The preparations contain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory substances that help relieve pain and improve capillary permeability, reduce inflammation, swelling and redness.
- Warming.Such ointments have a number of contraindications, but are very effective in some cases.
- Complex preparations.Means of this group relieve pain and inflammation, have antithrombotic and antimicrobial action. They instantly penetrate the tissues of the joints, normalizing blood flow.
- Products of plant origin.The advantage of such fats is the naturalness of the composition. But you have to use them for a long time.
- Chondroprotectors.Means of this type protect cartilage tissue from negative factors. Fats include chondroitin, glucosamine. They activate tissue repair processes and reduce inflammation. It is recommended to use them 2-3 times a day, previously massaging the neck area a little.
Massage helps to strengthen muscle tone and relieve pain. Its technique is selected depending on the stage of the disease. But in most cases, all the techniques of classical massage are used: rubbing, caressing, kneading, etc.
- If the patient's pain occurs on one side only, the massage begins in a healthy area, gradually moving to where the pain occurs.
- The first session should not last longer than seven minutes. Then each procedure is increased by 1-2 minutes until the session time reaches 12 minutes.
- The patient should take a lying position, put his forehead on the cysts and hands and stretch his chin towards his chest. It is important that the neck muscles are relaxed.
On your own
The massage can be performed at home, but in this case you must be very careful not to harm even more. Self-massage with SHOX includes the following classic techniques:
- Stroking.The massage begins by stroking the collar in the direction from the lymph to the axillary and supraclavicular nodes. Then a smooth and combed row is smoothed.
- Push-ups.The arm is placed over the neck and moves down the spine. Push-ups can also be performed with the edge of the palm towards the shoulder joints.
- Rubbing.It is performed to warm up and relax muscles. The massage begins at the base of the skull. Straight and circular movements are performed with the fingers. Sawing movements can also be performed with the palms parallel to the ribs.
- Kneading.The neck is stretched in circular motions.
- Vibrations.The massage ends with shocks and vibrations that are performed by shaking and tapping.
Medical gymnastics helps to improve the patient's condition. But it will be the safest during the recovery period. During the performance, the patient should not feel pain and discomfort. The exercises aim to strengthen the neck muscles.
Complex exercise therapy
The gymnastics complex should be chosen by a doctor. The following exercises are useful:
- In the supine position, you must rest your hands on the floor and slowly raise your head, keeping your back and torso straight. You need to stay in the upper position for a few minutes and then return smoothly to the starting position. Do 2-3 reps.
- You have to take a lying position on your stomach, stretch your arms along your body. The head turns first to the left and then to the right. Try to touch under the ear. At least 6 repetitions are performed for each side.
- In the sitting position, when inhaling, you must bend down to touch your chest with your chin, and then when exhaling, lean back, tilting your head back. The number of repetitions is 10-15.
- You have to press your forehead with your palms and resist with your forehead for 30 seconds. After that, the exercise is repeated by pressing on the back of the head with folded hands. The number of repetitions is 2-3.
- Smooth rotations of the head to the side are performed - 10 times. Dizziness should be avoided during this exercise.
The treatment can be supplemented with methods of physical therapy, as well as the use of various devices, such as massagers.
Using a massager speeds up recovery. It should be noted that they have a number of contraindications, and can be used only with the permission of a doctor. In osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is often used:
- heating massagers;
- neck and shoulder devices.
The applicator is a pillow or mat with plastic or metal spikes.
It acts on certain points that react to all biological processes in the body.
Using the product helps to achieve the following results:
- pain reduction or elimination;
- improving metabolic processes in cells;
- removing joint tension and restoring their tone;
- sleep normalization.
The device must be used in accordance with the instructions.
The following methods can be indicated from physiotherapy for SHH:
- Electrophoresis. . . It is combined with drugs that, due to the action of electric current, immediately enter the desired area.
- Ultrasound.Relieves pain and inflammation, helps improve metabolic processes.
- Magnetotherapy.Relieves tissue swelling, thus minimizing pain.
- Laser therapy.Eliminates inflammation and improves blood circulation.
Proven folk recipes can be used as an additional treatment.
A warming kerosene compress helps relieve pain quickly.
- The fabric should be moistened with the solution, applied to the affected area.
- Place cotton or plastic wrap on top.
- Hold no longer than three hours.
Rubbing from pharmaceutical preparations
- You need to crush 5 tablets of analgin.
- Add 15 ml of centrifuge, 0, 005 l of iodine and camphor alcohol, mix everything well.
- The composition is rubbed into the neck areas where pain is noticed.
Infusion of wrinkles on the kidneys allows in a minimum period of time to achieve long-term remission in the case of pain in the cervical spine due to osteochondrosis.
This drug will have to be prepared in advance and consumed for quite a long time, but the results will bring the long-awaited effect for many months.
- The buds must be harvested before May. They are cut into circles, placed in a glass jar and covered with granulated sugar in a ratio of 1: 2.
- The medicine should be infused for two weeks.
- You have to take 0, 0005 liters three times a day, holding it in your mouth for a while, and only then swallow it.
The course of admission is 2-3 weeks.
- You have to mix 50 g of grated raw potatoes with the same amount of honey.
- The composition is applied to a piece of natural fabric and placed on the neck.
You can get rid of the pain in three days.
- Radishes should be grated on a fine grater.
- Place the porridge between two thin pieces of cloth and place it on your neck, wrapping it in foil or parchment.
- You can keep as long as there is enough time and effort.
- You need to mix 15 grams of honey and chopped salt.
- The composition is applied to a piece of natural material and placed on the affected area.
- You need to cover it from above with paper and wrap it in something warm.
Repeat the procedure every night.
- Pour 250 grams of young pine or spruce needles with a liter of water.
- Cook for half an hour.
- Fluid is consumed twice a day, 35 minutes after a meal.
The course of therapy lasts a month.
The most important medicinal properties of dandelion are related to the content of inulin, a large amount of amino sugar, natural rubber.
The plant is also prized for its glycoside content of taraxacin, triterpene compounds, fatty oils, organic acids and alcohols, resinous compounds, bioflavonoids, as well as a number of mineral compounds, including the necessary calcium.
- Dandelion roots must be ground to make 15 grams of product.
- Pour over 250 ml of hot water and leave in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- The broth should be infused for 55 minutes, then filtered and water added until the original volume is restored.
- Drink 75 ml three times a day before meals.
- Grind ginger root, weighing about 55 g.
- Add 30 ml of soft butter and 3 cloves of garlic.
- The agent is applied to the affected area to warm up.
Mustard egg mixture
You must mix:
- 50 g of mustard powder;
- 3 egg whites, whipped;
- 50 ml of camphor alcohol;
- 59 ml of vodka or medical alcohol.
The product is infused in a dark place for 10-12 hours.
To prepare the second mixture it is necessary to mix:
- 100 g honey;
- 50 g aloe juice;
- 150 ml of vodka or diluted alcohol.
The composition is placed in a dark place for 12 hours.
The products are applied twice a day, applied to the affected area and remain there until they dry. It is recommended to combine them until they are used up. A 12-day course will help you forget about the pain for a few months.
What to do in case of severe pain?
- For severe pain you can take an anesthetic or NSAID. Fats give a quick result.
- Peace should be assured to the injured department.
- Warm or, conversely, cold compresses also help. In this case, moderation is important so that the effects of low or high temperatures do not increase pain and swelling.
It should be noted that the treatment of osteochondrosis should be carried out in a complex.
First of all, you should remove all the pain in the neck and head, remove the underlying causes that cause discomfort.
If the patient is being treated for extremely severe pain, he will not be able to solve the main problem.
- When dizziness occurs, the patient should lie down or sit so that the neck is as relaxed as possible.
- In case of unconsciousness, place the patient in a horizontal position and bend his head down.
- muscle relaxants;
- anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs.
Gymnastics and physiotherapy are also useful in the treatment of vertigo.
Prevention of exacerbations
To prevent deterioration, it is important to follow these recommendations:
- Moderate exercise is helpful. They help improve blood circulation and lymph flow in the collar area, improve the mobility of the vertebrae and prevent degenerative changes.
- Nutrition plays an important role. No special diet is required, but it is recommended to limit the use of salty and spicy foods, sugar, foods that contain artificial ingredients. The diet should contain enough protein, vitamins, minerals and plant fiber. It is also important to drink plenty of water.
- It is necessary to go for regular check-ups with orthopedists.
- If you are overweight, you need to get rid of it.
- When carrying weights, you must distribute the load evenly.
- People who work at a computer should warm up occasionally.
- It is important to control posture, avoid stress, injuries and hypothermia.
Advice from doctors and patients
Specialists and patients with osteochondrosis of the cervical spine additionally give the following advice:
- Do not treat yourself for acute pain. It is necessary to consult a doctor as soon as possible who will develop a comprehensive treatment regimen, taking into account the specific case.
- You should not try to correct a displaced spine on your own and take a large amount of pain medication. Self-medication can only make the condition worse.
- An important measure for the worsening of osteochondrosis is the motor regime. Rest and restriction of movement are needed in the first days, but in the future motor activity should expand. Special exercises are helpful.
- It is important to quit smoking. This applies to both the treatment of the disease and its prevention. Due to the influence of cigarette smoke, blood vessels are affected, blood circulation deteriorates, metabolic processes are slowed down. As a result, the risk of developing degenerative processes in different parts of the spine increases.
The symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis are quite unpleasant. If they suddenly appear and cause serious discomfort, you can use first aid measures in the form of taking painkillers or using folk remedies. But it should be understood that these methods only alleviate the condition but do not cure the disease. To get rid of osteochondrosis, you need to visit a specialist and adhere to the complex treatment regimen prescribed by him.